Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Interview with Ben McFarland (Part 3)




And we are back for Part III of our interview with the ENnie award winning desginer Ben McFarland (Kobold Quarterly, Tales of Zobeck), as we talk with him about his newest project:
(84% to goal)

31. What is your feeling about the Rite Publishing's newest release Ashton Sperry’s Paper Minis? (Publisher’s shameless plug)

I like their style-- I think they're a great way to provide customized miniatures without breaking the bank, and they're a heck of a lot easier to store.

32. What is your home game like?

We tend to rotate through a few systems, trying out new ones for a little bit to keep things interesting. It provides a nice break from our long running storyline. Occasionally, we'll shift who GMs. We've been gaming together for about 8 years now, and they're a great group of guys.

33. What is the Pathfinder product you want to buy?

It's a bit of a cheat, but I want that latest map for the Gamemastery line-- the manor/guildhall flipmap. I think it's pretty sexy and begs to get some playtime.

34. Can you name for us a class or prestige class that would be cool but you have never seen?

This is tough, because there were a *lot* of prestige classes created over the last few years, and I've read most of them. Since I've already cheated, I'm going to do it again. It's not that I want some new prestige class, I have a hojillion to choose from now. I want prestige classes to be treated the way they were intended. I don't think of each prestige class as just an alternative or an improvement to a base class, but as a dedicated organization that inducts members and fosters particular specialties and skillsets. I think if more games approached them in that sense, prestige classes would be more of the great roleplaying tool they were intended to be, and less of the optimization building block I think they have become.

35. What kind of player experience do you hope to create with your game? Have your goals changed during the early design process?

I like to evoke emotions and build tension, and that's easier to do in a home game, where you're able to create and develop relationships with NPCs while establishing history through encounters and interaction. That's less feasible in this situation. I'm going to try to do that in a limited extent, but the unfamiliar environment of Forstor Nagar combined with the chaotic situation means that I have to find other ways to meet that goal.

36. What does Pathfinder Rpg need more of?

Personally? And this is just my taste, but you never go wrong with a little more grim'n'gritty seasoned with a dash of steampunk. Blood makes the grass grow and it's fun to make another sort of magic out of science. I mean, wasn't alchemy part science, part mysticism?

37. What advice would you give to fans of Pathfinder?

I'd say this to fans of any RPG: Play more games and try different systems. Find one of those character questionnaires and always use it when you make a new character.

38. What do you think the future is for Pathfinder Rpg?

I think the key is to provide quality materials while increasing organized play opportunities-- and I think that's being done. From my viewpoint, the future looks good.

39. How do you feel about Breaking of Fostor Nagar as a patronage project rather than a traditional model?

I'm very excited to work in a patronage environment because of great interactive possibilities available when you have that creative pool to draw from. More eyes on a project means a better project!

40. How did your relationship with Rite Publishing start? How would you characterize it now?

It began very informally, talking with Steve after _Tales of Zobeck_ and the OGL release of _Halls of the Mountain King._ After a while, we found that we got along quite well, and Steve liked my work. When this opportunity became available, he asked me if I was interested and I jumped at it. I really like working with Rite Publishing, it's a very friendly and engaging operation, and I appreciate that.

No comments: