Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Interview with Soren Kies Thustrup (The Living Airship Part I)

I finally got a chance to sit down with Soren Keis Thustrup and talk about his new adventure The Living Airship, amoungst other things, this interview appears in 4 parts.

1. Please, provide a brief bio about yourself, you gaming habits, and your professional work.
I live in Copenhagen, Denmark, where I work as a copywriter. I run an AE/Ptolus game once every three weeks, and once a month I play in a high-level GURPS game (300 CP for those of you who swing more ways than d20). In my copywriting job, I have done as varied things as designing a marketing campaign that involved Lego bricks, designed a role-playing game, and done a bit of voice-over work for a regional TV ad campaign.

2. This year one of the books you worked on Vault of the Iron Overlord earned an ENnie nomination how did that feel?
Well, naturally, I was exceedingly proud. Unfortunately (although fortunately for the industry), we were up against some very good competitors.

3. Beyond Creation came out this year; do your three AE adventure (Circle of Rites, Beyond Creation, and The Living Airship) constitute an Arc story?
As a matter of fact, they do. Or they did in my own campaign. Basically, Beyond Creation dealt with my PCs being told where their missing airship was, The Living Airship was the adventure where they got it back, and Circle of Rites was the adventure they had in Thayn when they went back to settle the question of ownership. Beyond Creation also dealt with the PCs wanting to destroy the Ebonring (from Mystic Eye Games' Siege on Ebonring Keep)

But they aren't related in their present form.

4. Could you please sum up The Living Airship in a sentence or three?
The Living Airship gives the PCs a chance to obtain an actual airship, but they will have to fight for it, and even if they win, the prize may not be all it's cracked up to be.

5. How did you first become interested in creating the The Living Airship as an action/adventure story rather than a murder mystery like Circle of Rites?
I had a lot less time to think up the original Living Airship, and besides, it was originally designed as a tie-in with Mike Mearls' Siege of Durgam's Folly. And because that adventure was so action-packed, it just made more sense to keep Living Airship the same.

6. How did it feel, to work with a start up publisher like Rite Publishing? What were your initial misgivings? Did any of those prove True/False?
Well, with regards to my adventure, I've only encountered strong commitment and complete professionalism. I didn't have any misgivings - especially since I got to pick my editors!

7. Could you list some of your major influences in the creation of The Living Airship?
Airwolf, for one. And Monte's advice of always looking to make combat more interesting. And some of the Vallorians described in Poisoncraft from Blue Devil Games.

8. What are the strengths of The Living Airship over other adventures? Over other Arcana Evolved Adventure? Over your earlier work?
I wouldn't presume to say that the adventure has anything on other adventures. Compared to other Arcana Evolved adventures, it may be simpler. It's definitely something that can be played over one marathon session, or maybe two regular ones. And compared to my earlier work, well, it was actually written at approximately the same time as Circle of Rites and Beyond Creation, so I'd expect it to be pretty similar.


9. Can you tell me about your experience working for Rite Publishing as opposed to Malhavoc press (Ruins of Revivl) Goodman Games (Vault of the Iron Overlord), Fiery Dragon Productions (Beyond Creation)?
Well, because of my stronger involvement with RP, I felt a more direct connection to the entire process. My work on Ruins of Revival was more in the line of overall design and specific character design. Vault of the Iron Overlord was a two-week masterclass where I got to work with one of the best designers there is and just learn from him. Beyond Creation was quite a finished product when I handed it over to FDP.

10. Can you tell me how you felt when you first saw the cover art for The Living Airship by Kurt A. Taylor?
Pride. Simple, utter pride. I was privileged enough to see it grow from concept sketch to final work of art, and the end result is nothing short of amazing.

CONTINUE TO PART II OF THE INTERVIEW.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Great Dane! Yip. I'm glad to see the Living Airship finally go to print. It's a great concept.