Thursday, October 16, 2008

Interview with Soren Kies Thustrup (The Living Airship Part II)

Part II of the interview with Soren Keis Thustrup as we talk about his new adventure The Living Airship, amoungst other things, this interview will appear in 4 parts over the next few days .

11.     How did you feel when you first saw the cartography by Jonathan Roberts?

It completely blew me away. The Vallorians' three spires are not the easiest setting, and the maps really, really help. The sense of depth is certain to help all the DMs who'll be running this.

12.     Describe your best moment working on The Living Airship?

When I thought up the flesh golem with the attack from within spell inside. What can I say; I'm a rat bastard DM, sometimes.

13.     What do you feel was the most ingenious part of The Living Airship that you devised?

That's really for others to say. I hope people will agree I made some good choices with regards to the Vallorians, their equipment and their tactics. But other than that, I doubt it's that ingenious a module.

14.     What specific design choice are you most happy with, and why?

Well, part is answered above, but I'm also particularly fond of the scree slope, which puts all non-flying PCs at a distinct disadvantage. Anything that forces PCs to waste resources on just getting from A to B is nifty in my book.

15.     Which design element was the hardest to figure out, and why?

Well, there was a spot of bother figuring out heights etc. on the pillars, but otherwise things went pretty smoothly.

16.     What did you learn about design while working on The Living Airship?

Not that much. Although, because it started off as a thing in my own game, re-writing it into a (hopefully) complete adventure was a challenge and quite educational.

17.     What did you learn from playtesting The Living Airship?  What did you change as a result?

Nothing, really. The "playtest" consisted of me running the adventure through, and my crew of 5 8th-level PCs proved up to the task, so that was nice enough.

18.     Did you make any other mistakes or miscalculations in the early stages of The Living Airship? How did you fix them?

None, really. I'm a bit worried that a bunch of 10th-level will just fly up the pillars. I might include some metal nets to keep flyer in their place.

19.     When I look at a setting and an adventure I always think of the Tropes of that setting. What Arcana Evolved tropes does The Living Airship take advantage of?

None that I can think of! This adventure is as action-filled adventure as you could wish for. But of course, with choice and free will being so prevalent in Arcana Evolved, there's nothing that prevents the PCs from taking over the living airship. 

20.     Are you happy with where The Living Airship is today?

As long as it's out where it belongs, with DMs who want to run it, I'm happy.


Continue to Part III

 

No comments: